Mexican chilli soup: This is an ideal lunch or supper dish for a cold day, served with
warmed bread rolls.
Cooking oil -1 Tbsp
Onion – 1, large, peeled and chopped
Lean minced beef -175 g (6 oz)
Ground cumin – 1/2 tsp
flour – 1 Tbsp
Canned tomatoes – 225 g (8 oz)
Tabasco sauce – 1/2 tsp
Beef stock 850 ml (26 fl oz /3(1/4) cups)
Salt to taste
Ground black pepper to taste
Canned red kidney beans – 425 g (15 oz)
• Heat oil in a saucepan. Add onion, minced beef and cumin.
Cook over high heat until meat is evenly browned. Use a
wooden spoon to stir and break up any lumps.
• Sprinkle fl our and stir well.
• Add tomatoes with their juices, Tabasco sauce and stock,
• Bring soup to the boil then season with salt and pepper to
taste. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 25 minutes.
• Stir in beans to soup mixture. Cook for another 5 minutes
or until heated through. Ladle into serving bowls and serve